Sunday 19 May 2013

Mascara and Books!


It was bound to be a sad day when, the £20.00 mascara I bought with Christmas gift vouchers, was to run out! As you probably know, I'm one of those people who will wear mascara pretty much every day - whereas I don't really have another makeup staple. I'd quite happily go without any other cosmetic, but I find that mascara really does bring out your eyes :-) no matter how natural I would like to look, it's always fun to put some on :-)

So, downgrading from Shu Uemura's Ultimate Expression mascara, I popped into Boots and got myself a Maybelline one. This one is called 'Mega Plush' and it's from the Volum' Express range. The appearance of the mascara is a bit wacky and 'out there' but it was on an introductory offer at £5.99 instead of £7.99. I've tried using £1.99 mascaras before, but I really recommend using a mascara that is above five pounds, as it makes such a difference, and you definitely need something that coats your lashes!

On application, the mascara isn't bad. It is very smudgy, so you have to be careful. The flexible brush is both a good thing and a bad thing in this sense! Despite this, it doesn't look half bad for the price it was purchased for. I'm not sure if I would buy this one again, but it's put my faith back in Maybelline! I bought a mascara (it was similar to this one, but it was purple?) and it was just awful. It made my eyelashes look like spider legs.

Later on in the day, I actually loved the fact that my lashes didn't feel 'heavy' as other mascaras make my eyes feel. I've always thought it was due to my contact lenses/tiredness, but it seems that maybe the gel formula really does make a difference. Although it does give that sixties voluminous appearance, it doesn't feel like you're wearing mascara at all! This is a great upside to the product.



In other news, I've just started reading Leo Tolstoy's 'War and Peace'. I'm roughly eighty pages in so far, and I really like his writing style. It's set in early 19th century Russia, during the French invasion. It's so interesting, and surprisingly simple to read (there's French translations footnoted at the bottom of each page). I'd definitely recommend that you have a go. At over 1,200 pages - it is a bit daunting, though not impossible!


I also bought a book in my local bookshop just this week. It's called: 'How to Learn French in Three Months'. So far, so good. I've been building my vocabulary, have been learning about different tenses and singular and plural words. I really want to immerse myself in the French language. It's not only beautiful, but many words in the English language are of French origin. It's incredibly interesting linguistically, and to have the ability to converse with a French person, even at an intermediate level, would be wonderful to do. So yes, I'm doing roughly half an hour of active learning and fifteen minutes of revision each day. Je m'apelle Emma; j'adore francais livres et musique!

No comments:

Post a Comment